2014 Alleluia Fund for Outreach grant recipients
On December 10, Diocesan Council of the Episcopal Diocese of Newark ratified the Alleluia Fund grant board’s recommendation to award grants to 27 congregation-based or -affiliated programs and stress a greater allocation towards food and shelter ministries.
This diverse set of grantees includes community kitchens and food pantries working to address hunger in our towns and neighborhoods; shelters working with homeless guests to develop the skills needed to gain employment, achieve independence, and re-integrate into the community; educational and occupational programs for the under-resourced and under-served; and international programs fighting poverty and disease.
All 2014 donations to the Alleluia Fund will be distributed to these “hands-on” ministries, without overhead or administrative costs. Your gift will have a direct and immediate impact in all corners of our diocese:
- In Sussex County, Family Promise provides food and safe shelter to homeless families and helps to find permanent, affordable housing.
- In Passaic County, Shepherd’s Haven offers a stimulating, safe, loving environment for senior citizens.
- In Essex County, the LGBT Rain Foundation provides emergency shelter services to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) young adults experiencing crisis leading to homelessness.
- In Bergen County, Care on the Corner links people of varying backgrounds to services needed to improve their lives, including English as a Second Language (ESL) and United States Citizenship classes.
- In Hudson County, The Hoboken Shelter serves 500 meals a day, shelters 50 people a night, and offers services towards the goal of ending homelessness, one person at a time.
These are only a few highlights of the incredible work our outreach partners are doing in the neighborhoods and communities of our diocese, and the wider world.
You can still participate in Episcopal charity this year! Your gift received by December 31, 2014 will be distributed to these organizations that are committed to doing God’s work in the world. If you haven’t already, please consider making a tax-deductible gift today.
2014 Alleluia Fund for Outreach Grant Recipients
Afghan School Project, Belvedire and Hope, NJ and Central Afghanistan
Apostles’ House, Newark, NJ
Care on the Corner, Hasbrouck Heights, NJ
Cedar Hill CDC, Boonton, NJ
Christ Church Food Pantry, East Orange, NJ
Diocese dos Libombos, Maputo, Mozambique
Episcopal Ministry at Drew University, Madison, NJ
Essex County LGBT RAIN Foundation, East Orange, NJ
Family Promise of Bergen County, Ridgewood, NJ
Family Promise of Sussex County, Newton, NJ
Global Aids Interfaith Alliance, Malawi, Sub-Saharan Africa
Good Shepherd Sustainable Learning Foundation, Cameroon, West Africa
Greater Life Community Outreach Center, Newark, NJ
Haven of Hope for Kids, Hope, NJ
Homeless Solutions, Morristown, NJ
Horizons Newark, Newark, NJ
Interfaith Food Pantry of the Oranges, Orange, NJ
Jubilee Center of Hoboken, Hoboken, NJ
North Porch Women & Infants’ Centers, Dover, Newark, and Paterson, NJ
Peter’s Place Safe Haven for the Homeless, Hackensack, NJ
Senior Resource Center, Chester, NJ
Shepherd’s Haven Adult Social Day Center, Pompton Lakes, NJ
Success For All Academic Assitance Program, Morristown, NJ
The Faith, Hope and Love Food Pantry, Teaneck, NJ
The Hoboken Shelter, Hoboken, NJ
Turning Point Community Services Inc., Irvington, NJ
United Community Corporation, Newark, NJ